Each day, more relationships fall apart…it seems like the list of things that can end them is endless, but really most of the biggest killers are fairly simple. If your relationship is in danger or has already broken apart, we are here to help you by listing off some of the main reasons people go their separate ways. Once you know what causes a breakup, you can usually fix it!
- Unfaithfulness is a supreme destroyer of relationships. Nothing really wounds a person so much as when his/her partner isn’t happy enough at home that he/she decides to go looking for what’s missing in other places. Cheating on your lover is probably the coldest, most hurtful thing you can do to a person and usually results in unfixable breakups. So the best way to deal with the problem is to never have it in the first place.
- Neglecting your partner’s feelings is another really hurtful thing that can cause a breakup, and in fact does a lot of the time. People have emotions, even the guys who like to act like they don’t so much…and it really hurts when they’re never considered by the person whom the love the most. Always listen to your partner, and be considerate of how he/she feels.
- Fights happen in all relationships, it’s almost natural, but when tempers really soar and people just can’t cool off and take things with a level head it can really cause dissension. Nobody likes to be with a person who’s always flying off the handle, and can’t be reasoned with. Conflicts are going to happen, but how well they’re dealt with separates the people who stay together from the couples that fragment and scatter.
- Movies have made it seem like it’s only ever girls who get too controlling, and in fact film has made it even seem funny, but the truth is that both guys and girls can become overly demanding and controlling of their partners…and it’s no laughing matter, as anyone who’s been in that kind of relationship can tell you. If you don’t have trust, you don’t have anything…and if you keep hounding your partner about what goes on every minute of every day, you won’t have him or her either.
- Allowing a relationship to get boring and stale is perhaps one of the most tragic ways that one can end, as it’s pretty much just a case of so little going on that a person doesn’t really care anymore. Lack of spontanaeity and “spice” is a relationship’s enemy, although you don’t have to freak out if you aren’t doing something new every hour. Spend time together, and do things that are fun for both of you! It’s crazy to simply let a relationship “reach its expiration date.”
- Annoying habits in small numbers can be almost endearing, but when they start to take over it can be a serious problem. Usually just having a bad habit of biting your nails or tapping your foot won’t end a relationship, but when these things are a blatant constant and in larger numbers than just two or three, they can add a lot of stress that can make normally minor problems impact your partner a lot more. Everyone has a few bad habits, but in the interest of peacekeeping it’s a good idea to try to ease up on the things that really drive your partner crazy.
There are a lot of things that can contribute to the “demise” of a relationship, and these are really just a few of them…but by thinking this way you should have a good shot at identifying any of the things that are really hurting your relationship…and if you’re in the middle of a breakup, then addressing problems like these could really help your chances of getting through it with your partner still by your side!